Incoming Freshmen - IB Middle Years Program (MYP) Intent to Participate Form for 2018-2019
IB Exam registration presentation.pdf
About the Middle Years Program (MYP) @ SHHS
In the fall of 2010, Smoky Hill High School, in partnership with Laredo Middle School, became the
only authorized IB Middle Years Program (MYP) in Cherry Creek School District.
The Middle Years Program at Smoky Hill High School:
provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world.
recommends, but not required, successful completion of Algebra 1, GPA 3.25 or above, and successful completion of one year of a World Language during middle school.
consists of eight subject groups: Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Society, Sciences, Mathematics, Performing and Visual Arts, Physical and Health Education, and Design.
requires students to fulfill 10 hours of community and service in 9th and 10th grade.
requires students to complete a personal project, a significant piece of work, that is the product of the student's own initiative and creativity at the end of the 10th grade.
prepares students for the SHHS IB Diploma Program (DP).
Questions? Please contact the IB Department at 720-886-5420
About the Diploma Program (DP) @ SHHS
In 1991, Smoky Hill became the second IB Diploma School established in the state of Colorado. Smoky Hill is the only Cherry Creek School that has two IB programs under one roof: the Diploma Programme and the Middle Years Programme. In addition to our outstanding faculty and long-standing academic excellence, we are recognized for:
- providing a seamless transition into the IB Diploma Program (DP) by offering the last two years of the Middle Years Program (MYP) for 9th and 10th grade students.
- offering four IB world languages: French, Latin, Japanese, & Spanish.
- offering three options for the sciences: Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies, & Physics.
- offering three options for mathematics: SL Math studies, SL Calculus and HL Calculus.
- offering Music, Theater and Visual Arts (including Digital Media Studies in our state-of-the-art digital media lab) as IB Arts options.
- offering IB Business Management and Psychology as HL & SL Group 3 or Group 6 options.
- providing specially trained IB counselors dedicated to helping our IB students with course selections and college preparation.
Need to know more?
Please contact the IB Department at 720-886-5420