Starting in March counselors like to meet with all juniors to have a junior conference and start discussing juniors progress towards graduation and their plans for after graduation. Juniors please come to the counseling office to schedule a junior conference. The conference will last approximately 45 minutes and should take place during their off period. We look forward to meeting with juniors.
Junior To-Do List:
1. Your counselor will update your email address and your parent/guardian email on Naviance.
2. Your counselor will explain ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) and the 21 tasks to Smoky Hill's ICAP.
A. Student will complete goals tasks.
B. Student will make sure all other tasks are up to date.
3. In researching colleges, be sure to look at their admission requirements, to make sure you are meeting their admission criteria in regards to course work, tests (ACT, SAT, SAT Subject Tests), etc.
- Get on Naviance, start researching colleges and create your list of "colleges I'm thinking about" under the "Colleges" tab in Naviance.
- This list will help us contact you specifically if we get information about the colleges that you have placed on your "My Colleges" list.
- Complete a (a) SuperMatch college search, look at (b) WUE schools (http://wiche.edu/wue) and (c) Test Optional Schools (www.fairtest.org).
- VISIT COLLEGES that you are considering applying to. It is important to make that personal contact!!
- If you are unsure of a future career, research careers on Naviance using the "explore careers" and "what are my interests" links under the "Careers" tab.
- "Career interest profiler" and "Personality Type" are surveys that will help link you to occupations that fit your interests, as well as to colleges that offer what you are looking for.
- "Explore Careers & Clusters" helps you research specific careers in depth.
- All juniors take the ACT on April 23rd. It will be offered again on June 14th and then not again until Sept.
- Keep in mind you can take this test more than once; colleges will look at your best scores. Same goes for the SAT. Make sure to bubble in colleges so your scores are sent.
- You can register for the ACT here (you do not need to register online for the April ACT) and register for the SAT here (links are on Naviance).
- ***There is now FREE Test Preparation, Method Test Prep, for the ACT and SAT on Naviance, where you do lessons, learn strategies, and take full timed tests! *** Method Test Prep is linked from the Naviance homepage.
- ACT test prep class on 3/26 & 3/27 with Sycamore Learning Center in Post Grad, $89.
- Are you a student athlete? You need to register with the NCAA and/or NAIA eligibility center, have ACT scores and transcript sent to eligibility centers.
- How are you going to pay for college? Register with Fastweb, a large scholarship search engine here. Also, use the National Scholarship Search on Naviance under the "Colleges" tab. Other great resources are http://studentaid.ed.gov/ and www.Fafsa4Caster.ed.gov.
- In the fall check the "Visit Schedule" on Naviance to see when college reps are coming to Smoky Hill. This is another opportunity to make that personal contact with the colleges you are considering.
- You may need letters of recommendation for college applications and/or scholarships, so be thinking of people you would like to write your letter(s) of rec. ** Instructional video on SHHS Post Grad website regarding our process for requesting letters of rec. **
- Register for the College Opportunity Fund at College in Colorado here.
** Instructional video on SHHS Post Grad website. **
- Make plans now to attend the RMACAC Spring College Fair at the University of Denver on Sunday, April 6th, 1:00-3:30 p.m. *** Registration information on reverse side of this sheet ***
Students should Pre-Register
No need to fill out cards with the same information at every table! Pre-registration is available for students through a simple, online registration page. This saves the student a lot of time and effort.
1. Pre-registration is free for students and they can register by visiting here.
2. After completing the easy online registration form, hit SUBMIT to print out your
personal registration barcode.
3. Bring this barcode with you to the fair and spend your time talking to admission
representatives and learning about their schools.