The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov
and you may file it any time after January 1, 2013.
Many colleges recommend you file it before February 15, 2013.
If you have submitted the FAFSA, you should receive the Student Aid Report.
Carefully look it over for accuracy.
Errors can cost you thousands of dollars.
Some colleges require the CSS Profile which is available online at https://profileonline.collegeboard.com/prf/index.jsp
A list of colleges and universities that require the CSS Profile is available at this website.
Families should submit the CSS Profile as soon as possible after January 1st
Be sure and check out the net price calculators on college websites. Every college is mandated by federal law to include the net price calculator on their website. Take this opportunity to see what the out of pocket cost will be to attend the college(s) you are considering.
Now is the time to start your scholarship research. Scholarship information is available on Naviance. Check out “Scholarship Strategy” on the left side of the home page. We have also provided links to Fastweb and Scholarship.com. on the home page. You can find both local and national scholarships under the “Colleges” tab.
Many colleges request a Midyear Grade Report (also called a 7th Semester Transcript) to evaluate your academic progress. Your fall semester grades play a vital role in either an admission or scholarship decision. Check the websites of the colleges to which you are applying to see if they require a 7th semester transcript. If so, stop by Post Grad to request that a midyear transcript be sent.
At this time you should be working with your counselor and the Post Grad Center to create your college list using the tools on Naviance and attending your Junior Conference. Junior Conferences can be scheduled starting in March.
The State ACT test will be administered on Tuesday, April 23, 2013. Now is the perfect time to begin preparing.
ACT Prep Course at SHHS
(through Sycamore Learning Company ACT/SAT Seminars)
March 27 and 28th from 3 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Registration information will be sent home to all juniors in February.
Calendar of Events
Test Dates Registration Deadline Late Deadline
April 13, 2013 March 8, 2013 March 22, 2013
June 8, 2013 May 3, 2013 May 17, 2013
Beginning in the upcoming 2012-2013 testing year, ACT is implementing additional enhancements to safeguard a level playing field for all test takers and help ensure the integrity of ACT score results.
- Students will be required to provide their gender and a photo of themselves when they register.
- Students will be required to provide their high school when they register.
- Types of acceptable IDs have been reduced and all require a photo.
- On test day, test center staff will match the name and photo on the student’s ticket, the examinee roster, and the student’s photo ID to the examinee who arrives to take the test before granting him or her admission. If students do not bring both their ticket and acceptable photo ID on test day, they will not be admitted to test.
- Students (including those who hope to test on a standby basis) will be required to register their intent to test and will not be allowed to make any test center or test date changes the day of the test.
More details on ACT’s test security and identification enhancements, including FAQs and links to important resources, can be found at www.act.org/idenhancements.
Test Dates Registration Deadline Late Deadline
March 9, 2013 February 8, 2013 February 22, 2013
May 4, 2013 April 5, 2013 April 19, 2013
June 1, 2013 May 2, 2013 May 17, 2013
This fall, the College Board will introduce important changes to help ensure everyone has a fair chance on test day.
Effective with the October 2012 test:
- You will be prompted to provide an acceptable photo during registration. The photo will appear on your Admission Ticket.
- You must present your Admission Ticket with your acceptable photo ID to enter your test center. NO TICKET, NO ID, NO ADMISSION!
- Standby test-takers will not be admitted. (Online requests for waitlist status may be possible until about 5 days before the test).
- Changes to test center, test date or test type will not be permitted on test day. They will have to be submitted about 2 weeks prior to test day.
Effective with the March 2013 test:
- You will be required to provide a photo in order to register for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests.
AP Exam Registration
Smoky Hill students can register for their AP exams online by going to www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/60452. Students must register for exams by 2:45 PM, March 12, 2013. For the 2013 AP Exams, the cost is $89.00 per exam.
Once registration is complete, students will need to print a copy of the confirmation form, bring that and payment to the Post Grad Center. Payment MUST accompany your confirmation. You can pay with cash, credit card or a check payable to Smoky Hill High School. Exams will not be ordered until full payment has been received.
SAVE THE DATE
February 13th, 2:30 – 6:00 p.m.
FAFSA workshop for seniors and their parents