Pre-registration for next year is just around the corner. Counselors will be presenting important information to students regarding the registration process through their English classes from January 31st to February 8th, 2012. Students will complete their registration through their online Naviance account. Pre-registration on Naviance should be completed by February 17th. Counselors will be available for questions and to assist with the registration process until that time. The pre-registration process is important to ensure all students take the courses they need not only for high school graduation but for college readiness. Parents should discuss with their child the courses planned and their future goals.
The college search and post high school planning process will begin for juniors at the Naviance kick off assembly on Tuesday, February 14th , during second period. All juniors are required to attend. Juniors will also complete their junior conference with their counselors sometime during March through May. Counselors meet individually with junior students to review:
- Graduation requirements and current credit status
- College admission requirements
- College search process and finding the “college fit”
- Vocational/military/work opportunities
- Financial Aid
- ACT and SAT testing and preparation
- NCAA requirements
- Extracurricular activities
- Out of school activities and community volunteerism
- College Summer Programs
- In state college fairs and visit opportunities
Students should stop by the counseling office to make an appointment beginning in March.
Need Assistance Filling out the FAFSA? (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) SHHS Counseling is hosting a FREE workshop with the help of College Invest for all seniors.
DATE: Tuesday, February 7, 2012, from 2:30 - 6:30 p.m.
PLACE: SHHS Media Center/Library (2nd floor)
What to bring:
- Get a PIN – Before beginning the FAFSA, you should apply for a U.S. Dept. of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. The PIN will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically. Both parent and student must apply for a separate PIN number.
- Parent and student’s social security numbers.
- Parent and student’s driver’s license numbers.
- Alien registration number (if applicable)
- 2011 Federal tax information or tax returns, including W-2 information for parents and student. (If not available, bring 2010 tax info)
- Records of untaxed income, such as Social Security benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Veteran’s benefits, both for student and parents. Also, information on savings and investments (stocks, bonds, etc.), business and farm assets for both students and parents.
Every Student, College Ready.