Consistent attendance supports the academic success of all students. Conversely, repeated patterns of absences interfere with academic success. Smoky Hill High School observes the following procedures to support student achievement. All excuses must fall within the district-determined guidelines (refer to District Policy JH).
- Please make every attempt to excuse students the same day as their absence.
- Absences not excused within 48 hours will be considered unexcused.
- Parents are to report all absences to the Attendance voicemail line at 720-886-5450.
- When calling, please leave the student's name (spelling last name), reason for absence, grade, and a phone number where parents/guardians can be reached during business hours.
- All written notes must include this same information plus the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
- In the event of an emergency when an adult other than the parent or legal guardian temporarily supervises a student, the parent should notify the attendance office in writing, including in the written notice a phone number where the parent can be reached.
- Students to be dismissed from school to attend an appointment must submit a note to the Attendance office prior to the requested dismissal time. The Attendance secretary will provide an early dismissal pass, which is required to leave class early.
- Students who become ill during the school day must be excused through the Nurse's Clinic.
The attendance dean will focus on attendance issues of our 9th and 10th graders. Every attempt will be made to visit with these students (and their parents) on the day immediately following any unexcused absence.
Computerized Notification of Absences
Our computerized parent notification system will e-mail the parent and call the student's home phone number twice a day to inform parents/guardians of unexcused absences. As this computer system does not provide detailed absence information, the appropriate Dean Team Office can provide you with specific information concerning dates and periods of absences.
May Calendar of Events
|May 7, Thursday||Yearbook Distribution||2:10 p.m.|||
|May 8, Friday||Senior Celebration||9:00 a.m.|
|May 8, Friday||Dance Showcase||7:15 p.m.||Auditorium|
|May 9, Saturday||Dance Showcase||7:15 p.m.||Auditorium|
|May 12, Tuesday||Academic Award Ceremony||6:30 p.m.||Auditorium|
|May 12, Tuesday||All School Award Ceremony||7:00 p.m.|
|May 13, Wednesday||Teacher of the Year Banquet||6:00 p.m.|||
|May 14, Thursday||Senior Exit Assembly||1:30 p.m.||West Gym|
|May 15, Friday||Senior Check-out|
|May 18, Monday||IB Recognition Program||8:30 a.m.||Auditorium|
|May 19, Tuesday||Senior Breakfast||8:00 a.m.||Cafeteria|
|May 19, Tuesday||Graduation Rehearsal||9:00 a.m.|
|May 19, Tuesday||Cap & Gown Distribution||10:30 a.m.|||
|May 19, Tuesday||AP Scholar Reception||6:00 p.m.||Auditorium|
|May 22, Friday||Graduation ||12:00 p.m.||DU - Ritchie Center|
|May 25, Monday||Memorial Day||No School|||
|May 28, Thursday||Final Exams||4G, 3G, 2G|||
June Calendar of Events
|June 1, Monday||Final Exams||2R & 1R|||
|June 2, Tuesday|
Final Exam Make-up